It’s that time of year again! And so begins the search for the perfect holiday gift. Something unique, something that shows you truly care.
How about a gift that keeps on giving? An investment.
Imagine their surprise when you tell them that their gift is resting safely in Bordeaux, accruing age and interest. They will love having the option of either drinking or selling it whenever they feel the time is right.
And with that, we could end this post. Perfect holiday gift? Problem solved. Any of the wines in our portfolio would make a wine lover swoon! Even if they don’t know much about wine, owning an asset is never a bad thing.
However, as we’re in the business of fine wine, we do have some tips for gifts if you’re not ready yet to invest.
- Thinking about getting them a physical bottle of fine wine? You’ll need to consider two things: Do they have space for proper cellaring? Is this for drinking now? Fine wine can stand the test of time. So unless you want to invest your time and money in sourcing an aged beauty, do you really want to give a bottle that they’re going to have to hang on to for another 10-15 years? Do they have the proper conditions for doing so? Something to think about! We have the perfect solution for those who appreciate the thought more than a physical thing, or for those who simply don’t have a proper wine cellar/space.
- Sets are fun, because two is better than one. If one bottle doesn’t seem like enough, or maybe it’s for a couple, a good set can really step it up. For example, the Sinner & Sinless wines would be a wonderful gift!
- Make sure they’re into the wine you’re buying. If you’re looking to gift a bottle of fine wine, chances are the recipient knows a thing or two about what they like to drink. Be sure to know what they love before making an investment that will leave them disappointed. Perhaps giving them the option to drink or sell whenever they want is a much better idea.
- A nice glass makes a good wine look better. If a bottle by itself seems bare, a nice set of glasses made for the style of wine you’re gifting could be the icing on the cake! Don’t forget about accessories!
- Holiday temperatures are erratic. Don’t let your gift go bad because of freezing cold in the north or boiling temperatures in the south. December brings extremes to both hemispheres, a wine’s enemy. If you’re shipping, you probably shouldn’t…if you’re gifting, keep it out of cars for extended periods of time and take care of their fine wine.
- Perhaps they don’t know that much about wine, but you want to get them started with something special? Figure out what they love and pair it with a wine region. They can’t get enough of André Bocelli? How about a bottle of our IOsonoDonatella Brunello di Montalcino? A Tuscan star, just like Bocelli.
- Gifting a surprise trip and want to get them excited in the meantime? Find a wine from the region/country you’re traveling to and gift it with your itinerary. What a great way to introduce a trip to Chile by presenting a Seña!
We could keep going, but the most important tip is that the gift comes from the heart. Put some thought and effort into it and you’ll be fine. Just like a fine wine!
If you’d like to gift your loved one a wine investment and don’t know how to get started, let’s talk! We’ll help you every step of the way.
Stay safe and happy holidays!